Recipe by CaliforniaJan
This comes together quickly and is a wonderful dinner paired with a good rice dish and a green salad. Note that the recipe calls for the chicken breasts to be steamed before baking. I just put them in a large steamer basket and cooked them for about 15 minutes while I was getting the rest of the recipe ready to bake. Just make it again last night and it is still excellent! 10/2011
Top Review by DeniseBC
Wow! This was great! I didn't know for sure how long to steam the chicken and since my pieces were big, I just did them in my Black and Decker steamer for 30 minutes per their instructions. I worried that after pretty much fully cooking them they might be dry once they came out of the oven, but they were delicious. Instead of light cream, I used fat free half and half and it was very tasty. Don't sacrifice the butter with any substitutes though, it makes this dish! Since there are just two of us, I didn't put avacado over all, just the individual servings. Adds a nice taste!
I served with Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice and green beans for a yummy, yummy supper. Made for your 2010 Football Pool win. Congrats!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce, I like more
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 -2 avocado
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Steam the chicken breasts until tender. Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter until foamy, stir in flour and cook for 3 minutes. Slowly add the cream and chicken stock, stirring until smooth and thickened. Season with the salt, pepper, Parmesan, Tabasco, and herbs. Set aside.
- Saute mushrooms in remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Place the chicken in a 2-quart casserole and top with mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over and bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with almonds. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Peel and slice avocados lengthwise. Place over casserole before serving.