Recipe by Raquel Grinnell
This is a combination of a couple of recipes that I enjoy, with lots of my favorite ingredients. Use the freshest veggies and you can't go wrong! I like to serve this on a bed baby spinach or mixed greens. My husband likes to add corn and a vinagrette instead of the creamy dressing when he makes it to 'health' it up - it's a very versatile recipe.
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts (shredded or chopped into large pieces)
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed (divided)
- garlic salt, to taste (I don't use too much salt because you can always add more at the table.)
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese, crumbled (I've subbed goat cheese with good results)
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- black pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- To save time and effort, I usually get a store-bought rotisserie chicken. Remove skin and chop breasts; add other pieces of chicken if necessary to get to two cups.
- Chop the avocados into medium-sized pieces, mix with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice to prevent browning, and season avocado with garlic salt to taste. Put in large bowl with chicken.
- Top with onion, feta cheese, pine nuts and cilantro. Toss gently to combine, taking care not to break up or mash the avocado.
- Whisk mayo, dijon and the remaining tablespoon of the lemon juice to make the dressing. Add a bit of water if too thick. Season the dressing with freshly ground black pepper to taste. Drizzle over salad and again toss gently to dress.
- Serve right away or chill for a while before serving. This can be served inside pita bread or sandwich bread, or over a bed of greens/spinach, but we also like to eat it as is.