Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A south of the border salad that take very little time to make. This came from my local news paper many years ago.
- 2 avocados, fully ripe
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and diced
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup celery or 1 cup jicama, cut into matchsticks
- 1⁄3 cup mild feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Italian salad dressing
- lettuce (optional)
- Pit avocados and dice one; then slice the other.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine diced avocado, beans, chicken, celery/jicama, feta, cilantro and 2 tbsp dressing.
- Spoon onto 4 plates lined with lettuce. Top with 1/4 of sliced avocado, then drizzle with remaining dressing.
This was a quick and yummy supper that I prepared just as written. I served it on spinach and used the homemade Italian dressing, as another suggested. There will be plenty left for lunch tomorrow! Thanks for posting this!
Omitted the cilantro because my wife won't eat it and cut the salad dressing in half. The first night we ate it cold on flour tortillas - superb. The second night I added a little more avocado and heated it up and served it with a side vegetable. It was even better. This definitely a keeper for my Cinquo de Maio menu.
This was soooo good over spinach. I did sub jalapeno jack for the feta and I used Homemade Italian Dressing recipe #20158. Dh says this makes a great taco or wrap filling.