Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Italian hearty country style meal. Easy to prepare with a wonderful old world flavor. Can be eaten as is with a glass of wine and some warm Italian bread, or it can be served Stroganoff style over noodles or rice.
- 1 lb thin sliced chicken cutlet
- 3 medium size shallots
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) canquartered artichokes (water packed)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 cup aged asiago cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- olive oil (for frying)
- all-purpose flour (for dusting chicken)
- Toast the pine nuts by quickly frying in a small amount of olive oil, just until they start to turn golden, and set aside.
- Coarsely chop shallots. In a large skillet or frying pan sauté the shallots in olive oil until they become clear and translucent. Remove shallots from heat and set aside in a bowl for later use.
- Lightly flour the chicken cutlets. The purpose is not to create any coating on the chicken, simply to prevent splashing when frying.
- Cut the chicken cutlets into bite size pieces about 1 to 2 inch free form pieces, using a kitchen shears.
- Add more olive oil as needed to the pan and stir fry the chicken pieces until just cooked through, about 5 minutes or so. Do not over cook.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the heavy cream into a cup or saucer. Add the 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch to the 1/2 cup of cream and stir until dissolved and free of lumps.
- Add the sautéed shallots back into the pan with the chicken.
- Next add the 1/2 cup of white wine to the pan, Drain the can of artichokes very well and add them to the chicken and wine mixture. If the artichoke pieces look too big you can cut them smaller before adding if you wish.
- Add the remaining cream in the pint and the Asiago cheese, and stir to blend all ingredients, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- After cheese has completely melted into the mixture, add the 1/2 cup of reserved cream with the cornstarch in it to the mixture and heat through until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat to large serving bowl or serving platter.
- Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts over the top.
Delicious and easy to throw together. Creamy with great flavor. I asked dh if he thought it was any good. He said, "It's more than any good - 5 stars!!!" Then he went back for seconds. This one will make repeat appearances at our house. Good luck with the contest!
3 stars -Served over noodles. I thought the sauce was too thick. The flavors didn't work well for us, the sharpness of the Asiago and the tartness of the Artichokes.