Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A Japanese recipe for springtime from The Japanese Cooking Class Cookbook.
Make and share this Chicken-Asparagus Salad (Tori Karashi-Ae) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon sake, plus
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 6 medium stalk asparagus, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 piece lemon rind, 1-inch square
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared japanese mustard
- Cut chicken horizontally into 1/22-inch thick pieces. Place chicken in a small saucepan; sprinkle with 1 tsp sake and 1/2 tsp salt. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water to chicken; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer until chicken is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain chicken, reserving 1 tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Cool completely.
- Heat remaining 2 cups water and 1/4 tsp salt to boiling in medium saucepan; add asparagus. Reduce heat to medium, cook 3-5 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain asparagus and cool completely.
- Cut lemon rind into 1/16-inch strips; reserve. Break chicken into 1/2 X 1 inch strips. Combine chicken and asparagus in a medium bowl.
- Place reserved cooking liquid, remaining 1 tablespoon sake, the soy sauce, and mustard in a small bowl; mix well. Pour mixture over chicken and asparagus; toss lightly to coat. Divide mixture evenly in 4 small bowls and sprinkle with lemon strips.