Recipe by Mille®
Makes a nice simple meal served with a baked spud, and is also a great cold item for a picnic basket.
Top Review by a.jordan
This pie is full of flavour and everyone I have made it for loves it! However, I used less onions and added a little mustard to the sauce to suit my own tastes. I have made this pie several times and it's great for using up the left-overs of a roast chicken (I usually use the thighs).
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 8 boiling onions or 8 white pearl onions, peeled
- 1⁄4 lb button mushroom
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 ounce plain flour
- 15 fluid ounces milk
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cut into strips
- 6 ounces fresh asparagus
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons table cream
- 1⁄2 lb puff pastry
- egg wash
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté the carrots, onions and mushrooms in the butter, cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and gradually add the milk stirring until the sauce thickens, boils and is smooth.
- Add the chicken, asparagus, seasoning and cream to the sauce.
- Pour the mixture into a 1¼-quart pie dish.
- Roll the pastry to the same size as the dish, dampen the rim and cover with the pastry.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.