Recipe by Jekase
I've been making this recipe for many years. It came from a friend but I've tweaked it a bit over time. Very good comfort food and the kids have always loved it.
Top Review by Charlotte J
This is a good tasting meal in one dish. It was not hard to make either. I used 3 chicken breasts, my frozen asparagus from our garden and since I did not have onion salt I just sprinkled 3/4 teaspoon of the onion flakes on top of the rice. The white sauce/roux was nice and creamy, I made sure I cooked the butter/flour mixture about 2 minutes so I'd not get a floury taste to the sauce. I think this could have fed 8 people it is really filling! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. This is a keeper!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups Minute Rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 (15 ounce) canscut-up asparagus, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken breasts on lg.
- piece of foil.
- Sprinkle generously with onion flakes.
- Wrap up to completely enclose and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- Remove and set aside till cool enough to handle.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 of the salt and all of the flour.
- Whisk till smooth.
- Slowly add half-n-half and whish until thick and creamy (gravy consistency).
- Cut chicken up into medium chunks and set aside.
- In a 2 quart baking dish: add rice, sprinkle with remaining salt, onion salt and pepper.
- Pour chicken broth over.
- Sprinkle with half the cheese.
- Place asparagus on top.
- Place cut-up chicken on asparagus.
- Pour cream sauce over all.
- Leave in layers-Do NOT mix together.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered on 375 for about 30 minute or until bubbly.
- Let stand for 5 minute before serving.