Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I made this simple but elegant dish from a scratch, when the some guests arrived who had more or less invited themselves to visit me. It is a family's favorite now.
- 4 -5 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 can asparagus
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 envelope asparagus soup mix
- nutmeg (your choice)
- Drain asparagus.
- Put chicken into a lightely greased baking dish.
- Cover with asparagus.
- Mix remaining ingredients and pour over it.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or rice and a glass of chilled white wine.
This was very good! The meat turned out so very tender and juicy and the flavor was delightful. It also looked very elegant. The sauce is very thin, however, and next time I think I will experiment with precooking the sauce, adding some cornstarch to thicken it a bit, or perhaps reducing the amount of milk called for. I used white asparagus and German cream of white asparagus soup in this.
This was very good and I will make it again. I think next time I might use fresh asparagus and cut the liquid to 3/4 cup each. The sauce was a little thin.