Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A variation on Chicken Cordon Bleu or Chicken Parmesan, baked so lower in fat. Use your favorite jarred or canned sauce, or make your own. Serve with your favorite cooked pasta.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Coat an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg with just enough water to thin it a little. Set aside.
- Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl, and stir in dried basil. Set aside.
- Place 1 chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a mallet until about 1/4 inch thick, being careful not to pound holes in chicken; repeat with 2nd breast.
- Remove plastic wrap and place 1 slice of ham on each breast.
- Place one piece of cheese on the narrow end of each breast. Roll breast up jelly-roll fashion, and secure ends with toothpicks.
- Dip breast in egg mixture and coat all sides. Roll in bread crumbs until well coated. Repeat with 2nd breast.
- Place in baking dish and LIGHTLY spray with cooking spray (or an oil mister). This will help coating brown.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove toothpicks and place on plates. Top with some heated pasta sauce and some shredded cheese to garnish; serve.
Simple, and tasty. Presents well.
I made this for supper tonight. I was so happy it turned out. It was so good that I even forgot to put the tomato sauce on top - it didn't need but I will definitely try it next time. Definitely a keeper. Very tasty.
Made this for Football Pool 12- Week 3 win : Wow, so smiple and very tasty. I used my own pasta sauce instead of the jarred type. Love this recipe and it is a keeper and a go to recipe for when friend come to dinner.