Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great entree to serve to a crowd. It combines popular ingredients that everyone loves. You can assemble this dish a day in advance and bake it the next day.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 5 cups milk
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olive
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375*F. Lightly butter or spray a 9 by 13 inch baking pan or deep baking dish.
- In a large heavy skillet, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken pieces. Season with salt and pepper and saute for about 3 minutes, until the chicken turns opague. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until the mushrooms are limp. Add the garlic, herbs and cayenne and stir for about 20 seconds; do not let the garlic brown. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Immediately add the milk, stirring vigorously with a whisk. Bring to a simmer and whisk occasionally until the sauce is thickened, about 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. The sauce can be made 2 days ahead. Cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the penne according to the package directions. Drain well.
- In a very large bowl, mix together the pasta and sauce. Fold in the olives, artichoke hearts, green onions, 3/4 cup of the Parmesan and the grated Mozzarella until well combined. Place the mixture in the prepared dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the pasta is heated through, the sides are slightly bubbling and the top is golden brown.