Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
This is a homey, comforting casserole that I thought was great.
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 cooked chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) canquartered artichoke hearts, drained
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Steam broccoli (I use Black& Decker vegetable steamer) until crisp-tender; drain under cold water and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add in the mushrooms and stir/saute for 5 minutes or until slightly tender.
- Transfer mushrooms using a slotted spoon to the container holding the broccoli (I put them all on a plate).
- Add remaining butter to skillet and let melt over medium heat.
- Add in flour and blend.
- Add in stock, mustard, thyme, salt, and pepper; whisk for about 2 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Add in cheese and stir until smooth.
- Using a 4-quart casserole dish, layer half the chicken, half the vegetables; repeat layers.
- Pour sauce over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until bubbly.
- Stir and top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts.