Recipe by ayrolynkeady
A workweek's worth of dinner with simple changes (chicken chili and smothered burritos). These meals can also be made with whatever is on hand or regional brands of Hispanic foods, the most important thing is to mix and match. If your family doesn't care for spicy foods, tone down the peppers but if they do you could go wild!
Top Review by Cuistot
what a great plan!! I have a family of 8 so I made 3 whole chickens in my 22q roasting pan, it was fabulous and there was even some to freeze. This is probably going to become a monthly staple for us since it's so easy, versatile and tasty.
- 2 large chicken breasts (or equivalent)
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos (or Green Chilies)
- 1 (7 3/4 ounce) canel pato jalapeno salsa
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) canel pato tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans with jalapenos and lime juice
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (16 ounce) can enchilada sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Sunday: Cooking the Chicken
- In a big, oval crock-pot layer chicken and canned tomatoes.
- Add 1-cup water.
- Set crock-pot to low, cover and cook for 5 hours till tender.
- Remove from crock-pot, cover and refrigerate.
- Monday: Eat leftovers from Sunday or go out to dinner!
- Monday Night/Tuesday: Chicken Chili.
- Shred the chicken breasts using two forks (get help, it will go faster with more hands).
- In your very same big, oval crock-pot place all of the shredded chicken. Open and dump in the following: all of the El Pato (2 cans) and all of the green chilies (1 can, more if you like spicy, less if you don't). Stir.
- Cover, turn crock-pot to low and go to work.
- Come home from work (approximately 8 hours later).
- In a small saucepan, heat the black beans.
- Microwave tortillas wrapped in moistened paper towels.
- Serve a large scoop of chicken, a scoop of black beans and a tortilla or two on each plate.
- Cover and refrigerate leftover chicken and beans.
- Wednesday: Smothered Burritos.
- In a medium saucepan warm leftover chicken and beans. Add 1 package Neufchatel cheese, stirring until melted.
- Pour salsa into mixture.
- Spray a 14x9 inch-baking pan with cooking spray.
- One at a time, fill 4 tortillas each with a quarter of the chicken mixture, roll and place in baking pan.
- Smother with enchilada sauce. Top with shredded cheese if you like.
- Bake @ 350 for 1/2 hour or until bubbly.