Recipe by Bec
From "Cooking A La Heart"- Delicious Hear Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988. Serve with Oriental Sweet-Sour Sauce, if desired.
- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3⁄4 cup melted margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Oriental Sweet-Sour Sauce
- 2 slices canned unsweetened pineapple, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (flavored vinegars, such as raspberry or blueberry, are a nice added touch)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brandy (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 -3 green onions, chopped fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine margarine, garlic powder, mustard and basil.
- Stir chicken pieces in margarine mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan and parsley.
- Remove chicken from margaraine and add to crumb mixture.
- Toss until chicken pieces are well coated with crumbs.
- Spread on baking sheet or broiler pan and bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes, turning once.
- For the sauce, in a non-stick sprayed or teflon pan, saute pineapple in oil.
- Dissolve cornstarch in vinegar.
- Add tomato sauce, brandy, sugar and soy sauce.
- Stir mixture into pineapple.
- Add water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes- Cool.
- Just before serving, stir in chopped onions.
- Refrigerate any remaining sauce.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups.