1 hr 45 mins
An authentically, traditional chicken and sausage gumbo.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopper
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly slices
- louisiana hot sauce (like Crystal)
- 1 1/2-2 hot cooked white rice (1/4 cup per serving )
- 1/2 teaspoon file powder, per serving
- 1Heat a medium, heavy duty skillet over medium-high heat. Add andouille sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer sausage to a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup water to skillet and scrape bottom to release any browned bits. Set this liquid aside.
- 2Heat oil in an 8 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and saute until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to bowl containing sausage.
- 3Add the flour to the remaining oil in Dutch oven, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon over medium-high heat until roux turn caramel-colored, about 6-8 minutes. Add onion, stirring constantly until roux becomes the color of milk chocolate, 2-3 minutes. Add celery, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, 1 qt of water, the reserve sausage liquid, and the andouille, chicken, bay leaves, and thyme.
- 4Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered until chicken is falling off the bone, about 45 minutes.
- 5Transfer chicken pieces to a plate and allow to cool. Once cooled, remove skin and bones from chicken, pull meat into bite size pieces and return to gumbo. Season to taste with salt and pepper if needed.
- 6Serve in large bowls over 1/4 cup of hot cooked rice per serving. Add scallions and hot sauce to taste. Pass file at the table for everyone to add to taste.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken-Andouille File Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (548 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1001.2
- Calories from Fat 648
- Total Fat 72.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 185.7 mg
- Sodium 1165.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 57.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cooked white rice