I looked in the fridge tonight and all I could find was a small bit of roast chicken and some veggies. I decided to give this method of making chicken stock a go – shared with me by the Home Ec. teacher I work with. It makes a wonderful stock and this was the resulting soup.
- Take the chicken breast off the roast chicken and put the chicken bones, wings and any other bits in a large microwave dish with the water and thyme. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- While that is cooking, start on the prep of the veg.
- Finely chop the onion and fry in the oil. Add a little salt to help season the veg as they are cooking.
- Cut the celery into strips lengthways and then chop into small cubes. Add to the onion.
- Peel and cube the carrot to about the same size as the celery. Add to the pot.
- Add crushed garlic.
- By this time the stock should be finished - unless you are particularly fast at veg prep!
- Strain the stock over the vegetables.
- Add the pasta shells or whatever pasta you happen to have.
- Slice the chicken breast and pick off any good bits of chicken from the drained bones. Add to the pot.
- Simmer for as long as it takes to cook the pasta – 13 minutes for my pasta shells.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add more water if necessary. I needed to add a little more water after about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini/courgette in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Slice the zucchini lengthways. Cut into triangular pieces. I find cutting the zucchini this way helps keep them in one piece in a soup where they may get overcooked when the soup is reheated.
I won the jackpot on this recipe! Not only was it very good and healthy, I was able to use leftover turkey. This will also be a great way to use up my abundant supply of zucchini in the summer!!! The onion, celery and carrots were chopped in the mini food processor so that only took a few minutes to prepare. I did add about 5-6 sprigs total of the thyme. I found a little more water was needed as this cooked. Thank you for a delicious lunch and a way to use more yellow squash and zucchini! Made for Healthy Choices ABC Tag Game 2011
I prepped the veggies and added Crock Pot Chicken or Turkey Stock #263211 thawed from my freezer. I added the sea shell pasta and a small can of chicken breast chunks. I added the diced zucchini the last 5 minutes as directed. Had a delicious pot of soup done in about 20 minutes. The short cut (having home made broth in the freezer) really helps. Thanks for a great recipe Rona. Made for Choose Your Event Party.
This was a very filling soup, I followed the recipe as written. I actually purchased a BBQ chicken from the deli because I didn't have much time yesterday and used the required amount for this recipe (I will use the left over chicken for tomorrow nights dinner). Micro-waving the chicken carcass and fresh thyme gave the water a lot of flavour. I used about four cups of water to make the stock but the pasta shells really soaked a lot of the stock, so I made another four cups using the same chicken carcass just to give it some flavour. This soup is definitely a kids pleasure, Little Miss (DD) really loved the soup. If I make this again I would add some more herbs or spices to the soup or even a can of diced tomatoes for hubby and I because it didn't have strong flavours. Thank you RonaNZ