1/2 Photos of Chicken and Zucchini Soup
I looked in the fridge tonight and all I could find was a small bit of roast chicken and some veggies. I decided to give this method of making chicken stock a go – shared with me by the Home Ec. teacher I work with. It makes a wonderful stock and this was the resulting soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Take the chicken breast off the roast chicken and put the chicken bones, wings and any other bits in a large microwave dish with the water and thyme. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- 2While that is cooking, start on the prep of the veg.
- 3Finely chop the onion and fry in the oil. Add a little salt to help season the veg as they are cooking.
- 4Cut the celery into strips lengthways and then chop into small cubes. Add to the onion.
- 5Peel and cube the carrot to about the same size as the celery. Add to the pot.
- 6Add crushed garlic.
- 7By this time the stock should be finished - unless you are particularly fast at veg prep!
- 8Strain the stock over the vegetables.
- 9Add the pasta shells or whatever pasta you happen to have.
- 10Slice the chicken breast and pick off any good bits of chicken from the drained bones. Add to the pot.
- 11Simmer for as long as it takes to cook the pasta – 13 minutes for my pasta shells.
- 12Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 13Add more water if necessary. I needed to add a little more water after about 10 minutes.
- 14Add the zucchini/courgette in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Slice the zucchini lengthways. Cut into triangular pieces. I find cutting the zucchini this way helps keep them in one piece in a soup where they may get overcooked when the soup is reheated.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Zucchini Soup
Serving Size: 1 (634 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.8
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 27.4 mg
- Sodium 80.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 20.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: