Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Simple and Easy
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 cups ziti pasta or 2 cups penne pasta
- 2⁄3 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat.
- Add the chicken and cook, turning as needed, until lightly browned, 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray the same skillet with more nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring as needed, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, Italian seasoning and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring as needed, until the mixture is thickened slightly, 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the ziti according to package directions.
- Drain and mix with the ricotta cheese.
- Pour half of the tomato mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.layer with the ziti mixture, the chicken and the remaining tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with the cheeses.
- Bake until hot and bubbling and the cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes.
- Serves 4.