Prep 35 mins
Cook 37 mins
This light and quick chicken fricassee creates a savory and wholesome dish. The ingredients can be prepared up to 2 hours in advance, then cooked with the chicken 20 to 25 minutes before serving.
- 4 baby chickens, 1 pound each halved
- cayenne pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 lb yellow squash, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄2 lb zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 lime, zest of, cut in julienne (match stick size)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock or 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Season the chicken with salt, cayenne pepper, and a pinch of sugar.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large roasting pan over high heat.
- Add the chickens, skin side down, and saute until golden, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Turn them over and add the garlic, squash and zucchini slices, bay leaf, rosemary, lime zest, and salt.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over the casserole and carefully toss.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, tossing 2 or 3 times.
- Place the tomato slices in a bowl.
- Season with salt, a pinch of cayenne pepper and sugar.
- Toss them in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the lime juice and spread them over the chicken-squash casserole.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Discard the bay leaf and rosemary sprigs, transfer the chicken and garnish to a large serving platter, and keep warm.
- Add the stock or water to the pan drippings and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, mix well, and strain the sauce.
- Place the chickens on a platter.
- Arrange the vegetables over them.
- Spoon the sauce evenly over the warm dish.
This recipe has very good flavor combinations. Although I didn't follow it exactly the flavor combinations are fantastic. I had some pre-cooked chicken and canned stewed tomatoes. I sauteed the squash, garlic, and threw the rosemary in too, then added the tomatos, lime zest and lime juice and cubed cooked chicken, covered and put in oven for 20 minutes. Thickened the sauce with a little flour. Just zest a lime with a zester- don't fuss with the matchstick cuts - we did the matchsticks and I believe a zester would be better. Again the flavors were fantastic - good basis for pork chops too.