1 hr 12 mins
This light and quick chicken fricassee creates a savory and wholesome dish. The ingredients can be prepared up to 2 hours in advance, then cooked with the chicken 20 to 25 minutes before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 baby chickens, 1 pound each halved
- cayenne pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 lb yellow squash, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 lb zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/2 lime, zest of, cut in julienne (match stick size)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or 1/4 cup water
- 1Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Season the chicken with salt, cayenne pepper, and a pinch of sugar.
- 3Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large roasting pan over high heat.
- 4Add the chickens, skin side down, and saute until golden, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- 5Turn them over and add the garlic, squash and zucchini slices, bay leaf, rosemary, lime zest, and salt.
- 6Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over the casserole and carefully toss.
- 7Place the pan in the oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, tossing 2 or 3 times.
- 8Place the tomato slices in a bowl.
- 9Season with salt, a pinch of cayenne pepper and sugar.
- 10Toss them in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the lime juice and spread them over the chicken-squash casserole.
- 11Cook for 5 to 7 minutes more.
- 12Discard the bay leaf and rosemary sprigs, transfer the chicken and garnish to a large serving platter, and keep warm.
- 13Add the stock or water to the pan drippings and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat.
- 14Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, mix well, and strain the sauce.
- 15Place the chickens on a platter.
- 16Arrange the vegetables over them.
- 17Spoon the sauce evenly over the warm dish.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Yellow & Zucchini Squash Casserole With Rosemary
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 839.3
- Calories from Fat 670
- Total Fat 74.5 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 156.8 mg
- Sodium 162.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 30.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
limes, zest of