Recipe by Summers
This has been a favorite in my family for years. It is the most requested meal of my kids & their friends. I like to double the recipe and freeze one to have on hand for a quick supper. Also, I use a rice cooker to make the saffron rice. Just put in the water, rice, and butter, push the button and it is perfect every time and ready when you need it to assemble the casserole. I also use the lower fat sour cream and mayo, but prefer the regular cream of chicken soup, not the lower fat version. Kids and adults will enjoy this recipe. My daughter and her boyfriend were home from college over the holidays and were headed out the door to go out to dinner...until I said "Okay, but I made Chicken and Yellow Rice"....they exchanged glances and turned around and join the rest of the family for dinner....
Top Review by lunaburning
I'd never tried chicken and yellow rice before, but had always wanted to. This is insanely good. The only change I made, was that I used boneless skinless chicken thighs, instead of breasts. Absolutely delicious! This is comfort food at it's finest, and I know that I will be making this again, and again for years to come.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold. (one stick)
- 10 ounces saffron rice mix (Mahatma Brand)
- 3 1⁄3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 13 x 9 inch casserole pan, arrange chicken in single layer, grate cold butter evenly over chicken and pour in sherry.
- Bake, covered for 50 minutes.
- Boil water and 2 tablespoons butter, add Mahatma rice mix. Stir, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir soup, mayo, sour cream, paprika and parsley.
- When chicken is cooked, pour broth into soup mixture and stir until well blended.
- Dice chicken.
- To assemble casserole, in a 13 x 9 inch pan, layer rice, 1/2 of soup mixture, chicken and remaining soup mixture. Sprinkle top with paprika.
- You can freeze it or cook at 350°F for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until hot, bubbly and heated throughout. If frozen, thaw and cook for 45 minutes to an hour.