Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from the Soup Kettle section of the cookbook "365 Easy One-Dish Meals". It is different and yummy! I usually use canneloni beans instead of the limas.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 3 celery ribs
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 yams or 2 sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 (10 ounce) package baby lima beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Chop the onion, celery, and red pepper. Mince the garlic. Peel and yams and cut into 3/4-inch pieces. Cut the chicken into small cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, over high heat 4-5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Add onion, celery, red pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, water, yams and thyme. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add beans and cook 5 minutes longer. Stir in salt and pepper.
Very nice! I just love lima beans. Thanks, loof! Made for PRMR tag game.
This was excellent. I thought the sweet potatoes would taste to sweet but it was just perfect. Did'nt taste the sweetness in potatoes thanks
This hit the spot on the first cooler, windy eveing at the end of summer. We don't care for yams so I substituted regular potatoes as well as parsnips and added a bit extra of all veggies. I reduced the amount of chicken by half and used only chicken broth (no water). I used lima beans. All in all the soup is great with lots of flavour and lots of goodies for your health. I will be making this again for sure. It is great for using left over chicken, turkey or veggies.Thanks for sharing!