This recipe came from the Soup Kettle section of the cookbook "365 Easy One-Dish Meals". It is different and yummy! I usually use canneloni beans instead of the limas.
- Chop the onion, celery, and red pepper. Mince the garlic. Peel and yams and cut into 3/4-inch pieces. Cut the chicken into small cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, over high heat 4-5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Add onion, celery, red pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, water, yams and thyme. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add beans and cook 5 minutes longer. Stir in salt and pepper.