Recipe by luvmybge
Stock your pantry ahead of time to whip up this delicious satisfying soup. It comes together quickly for a nice meal. I got the recipe from Southern Living Magazine (Carol Michael Hewett, Texas). I made a few changes by adding celery, and adding 3 more cups of broth (because we don't like soup that thick). The original recipe called for 5 cups of water. I used part water and part chicken broth.
Top Review by clh8873
Great recipe - I used cheddar cheese instead of velvetta and frozen carrots - but followed the recipe otherwise. I fed 4 adults and had a little left over. It is a hearty soup and a good spin on chicken soup. Definitely will make it again. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 8 cups water (or chicken broth or half water and half broth)
- 1 (6 1/4 ounce) packagefast-cooking long grain and wild rice blend (such as Uncle Ben's®)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (8 ounce) package processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta®)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute´ onion, celery and carrots in a lightly greased Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Add water (or broth), seasoning packet from rice, broccoli, and chicken.
- Bring to a boil, and stir in rice; reduce heat, cover, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add cheese and soup; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.