Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Light cheese and flour-and-milk mixture keep this chicken and wild rice soup creamy but surprisingly low in fat. Make a batch of soup and reheat throughout the week for effortless and satisfying meal.
- 236.59 ml uncooked quick-cooking wild rice
- cooking spray
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 709.77 ml reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 354.88 ml cubed peeled baking potatoes
- 709.77 ml 2% low-fat milk
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour
- 283.49 g light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
- 473.18 ml chopped roasted boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Add broth and potato; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Combine milk and flour, stirring well with a whisk. Add the milk mixture to potato mixture; cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in rice, chicken, pepper, and salt, Garnish with parsley, if desired.