1/1 Photo of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
2 hrs 20 mins
This recipe is from my friend, Nancy. She prepared this for our annual graduating class girlfriend get together. Practically everyone wanted the recipe. This is a thick soup but you could thin it if desired. I fixed it tonight and DH really enjoyed it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (I used bone in chicken breasts)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend (I used Uncle Ben's)
- 1 carrot, cut in julienne strips
- 1 small onion, diced (can use green onion if you prefer)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup oleo
- 1/2 cup flour
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups milk (I used 2%, the recipe calls for skim milk but my friend said that she has only used 2% or whole)
- 1/2 cup water (I used broth from my cooked chicken)
- 1Cook chicken in 1/2 to 1 cup water until done. (I used bone in chicken, covered with water with my favorite spices; salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and 1 bouillon cube and simmered for 45 minutes. I reserved my broth)
- 2Set aside; when cool shred.
- 3Cook bacon, drain and reserve.
- 4Mix canned broth, rice and seasoning packet, carrots, onion, bouillon, poultry seasoning and garlic in kettle used to cook chicken.
- 5Boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 6Add broccoli and simmer 10 minutes.
- 7Melt margarine in 2 quart sauce pan, gradually stir in flour and pepper.
- 8Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 9Gradually add milk and cook and stir until thickened.
- 10Stir in some broth from soup (I used one ladle) and then pour all creamed mixture into soup.
- 11Stir until smooth. Add chicken, bacon and 1/2 cup water (I used the broth that I cooked in chicken and reserved).
- 12Heat gently, stirring often. Do not boil.
- 13If too thick, thin with a small amount of broth or milk to desired thickness. The soup is thick just the way DH likes it. I saved reserved broth to add to leftover soup when I reheat it.
- 14Serve with crusty bread or muffins.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (493 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 580.5
- Calories from Fat 379
- Total Fat 42.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 93.8 mg
- Sodium 1357.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 32.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
long grain and wild rice blend