Recipe by ctrmom
A fast and easy recipe that is chock full of chicken, rice, and veggies. And in my opinion, it can't be beat for taste, even by more labor intensive soups. I modeled it after a soup my husband and I loved from a sandwich shop where he used to work.
Top Review by heatherrlewis
Very good! And, even though my hubby thinks I cook too many chicken meals, he said he likes it! One of my 9 year old's favorites! Instead of cooking rice, I used 2 pouches of Uncle Ben's Brown & Wild Rice (w/o preheating). It made cooking that much faster!
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend, like Uncle Ben's or 3⁄4 cup raw wild rice, cooked according to directions
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped with leaves
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary (optional)
- 6 cups chicken broth (use stock, canned, or water and bouillon)
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Start the rice according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, chop the vegetables.
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the onion, celery, and carrot in the butter until soft- 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir the flour and seasonings into the vegetables.
- Add the broth slowly, stirring to blend as you go.
- By now the rice mix should be done. Add it, the chicken, and the milk.
- Adjust the seasonings.
- Heat through, and voila. Soup. Yum.