Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Yummy comfort food! Can also be made using leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend (Uncle Ben's Original Recipe)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped fine
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 2 (14 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 1 (2 ounce) jar chopped pimiento, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (juice from 1/2 lemon)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups seasoned stuffing mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook rice according to package directions, adding the chopped onion in to the pot during the last few minutes of cooking time.
- In a buttered 13 x 9 inch baking dish, stir together the rice & onion mixture, the chicken, mushrooms, chestnuts, soup, beans, pimiento, pepper, parsley, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and sliced almonds.
- Spoon the topping mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- Note: Also good using 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese as a topping (in place of the stuffing mixture), add the cheese during the last 15 minutes of baking.
I made this for dinner tonight, and it was pretty tasty. I made a couple of substitutions, based partly on stuff that I had. I used cheese on top instead of the stuffing, like the note suggested, and I omitted the pimiento. I also used cream of chicken soup, instead of celery. I would make this recipe again. It's very filling! I might also try it with some asparagus in place of green beans next time.