Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from The Fresh Market, I haven't tried it yet but it sounds delicious!
- 1 1⁄3 cups wild rice, cooked
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3 -4 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup dried cranberries or 1 cup cherries
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a heavy saucepan melt 3 1/2 tablespoons of butter over moderately low heat. Add flour and cook, whisking for 3 minutes. Add broth, bring mixture to a boil, and simmer it, whisking occasionally for 15 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, in a skillet cook shallots and mushrooms in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Add mushroom mixture to sauce and stir in cream, nutmeg, lemon juice, chicken, cranberries or cherries, rice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer mixture to a 13 x 9-inch baking dish and bake casserole covered, in the middle of preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, bake casserole for 15- 25 additional minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Garnish casserole with additional cherries or cranberries.