Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Chicken mixed with creamy long grain and wild rice and cheese.
- 1 (6 1/4 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese (I like sharp cheddar)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- Prepare rice as directed on box; spoon into greased casserole dish.
- While rice is cooking, melt butter in medium saucepan. Blend in flour; add milk gradually. Stir over low heat until thick. Add cheese and lemon juice; stir well.
- Mix chicken and sauce with rice and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
To start off- my husband really liked this and wants to have it again. However, the kids and I weren't as thrilled. It took much longer to make than stated- the rice itself takes 30-40 minutes. The flavor was ok, but not great. My box of rice was also 4.3 oz, so I added 2/3 cups of brown rice, and added 1 1/3 cups extra water/chicken boullion. I think it was the lemon juice in the cheese sauce that made it taste "off" for me. Next time I make it, I'll leave that out and see if it improves the taste for me.
Very Good! As I read the other reviews I decided to add 1/4 cup of chopped onion. I sauted the onions in the butter then added the flour. Used 2 boxes of rice as one box was only 4.3 ounces. Made for *1 2 3 Hit Wonders* game 2008
I have tested a lot of chicken and wild rice meals and usually find they don't have enough flavor. This one proved to be different, maybe the cheese? Very good, my husband liked it even though he is not a fan of rice dishes. Very easy to make which is always a plus!