Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup diced poblano chile, seeded and deribbed
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 3 cups cooked white beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- sour cream
- lime wedge
- Heat the butter in a large heavy pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and chiles and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the stock and milk. Cook, stirring slowly, until the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Tabasco, chili powder, cumin, oregano, beans, and chicken. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. toss together the cheese and cornstarch in a small bowl, add to the soup, and stir to melt.
- Serve with sour cream and lime wedges.