1 hr 30 mins
Roasted green chilies add spice to this do-ahead dish, which happens to be a great way to use up leftover chicken. Plan to make this a day ahead, as the beans need to soak overnight. To shorten the cooking time, you could use a couple of cans of drained, white northern beans. This chili is awesome!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb small dried white bean
- 1 lb chili pepper (about 8 fresh Anaheim chilies*)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro
- tomatillos (store-bought) or green chili salsa (store-bought)
- 1Place beans in heavy large pot with enough cold water to cover by at least 3 inches. Let stand overnight.
- 2Char chilies over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides.
- 3Enclose in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed, and chop chilies.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Drain beans.
- 6Return to pot.
- 7Add enough cold water to pot to cover beans by 3 inches.
- 8Simmer until beans are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- 9Drain well.
- 10Melt butter in clean heavy large pot over medium heat.
- 11Add onions and sauté until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 12Add flour and stir 5 minutes (do not brown). Gradually whisk in chicken broth and half and half.
- 13Simmer gently until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- 14Add reserved white beans and roasted chilies, shredded chicken, and next 5 ingredients.
- 15Simmer gently to blend flavors, about 20 minutes.
- 16(Chili can be made 1 day ahead. Chill until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm before continuing.).
- 17Add grated cheese and sour cream to chili; stir just until chili is heated through and cheese melts (do not boil).
- 18Ladle chili into bowls and garnish with cilantro and green salsa.
- 20* Also known as California chilies; available at Latin American markets and many supermarkets.
- 21**Cook time does not include soaking beans overnight.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and White Bean Chili
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 558.6
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 106.2 mg
- Sodium 759.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 35.3 g