This is one of my all-time favorite foods. I first had it at my best friends house in high school over 20 years ago. Her mother gave me the recipe and I have been making it ever since. I don't even like green peppers and I love them in this recipe. It is easy and the sauce is divine! For non-soy sauce/salt lovers--don't even try this recipe. The sauce is wonderful if you like the salty flavor of soy sauce, which obviously I do. For those that want a bland, non-salty light sauce, this is NOT the recipe for you! Look elsewhere! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons ginger, if you like more ginger (or more, I use fresh but dry works in a pinch but fresh is better)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (or more)
- 2 green peppers
- 8 green onions
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1In small bowl blend soy sauce into cornstarch; stir in dry sherry, ginger, sugar, & red pepper Preheat wok (or large skillet) add cooking oil.
- 2stir-fry green pepper& green onions in hot
- 3Remove.oil for 2 minutes or till crisp& tender.
- 4Stir-fry walnuts for 2 minutes (you may need to add more oil at this point).
- 6Add half the chicken to hot wok; stir-fry 2 minutes.
- 8Stir-fry remaining chicken 2 minutes.
- 9Return all chicken to wok.
- 10Stir in soy mixture into chicken.
- 11Cook& stir till thickened and bubbly.
- 12Stir in veggies.
- 13Cover and cook 1 minute more.
- 14Serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Walnuts
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 555.2
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 77.6 mg
- Sodium 1087.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 26.7 g