Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe makes for a complete meal. The chicken is first browned and then roasted for optimum flavor. While the chicken is roasting, the veggies and noodles can be prepared. It does take a few pans, but it comes together to make a delicious, complete meal and is totally worth it. I like using a variety of veggies for color, flavor and health! You can add/subtract veggies to your liking. Enjoy! Note: It's a good idea to prep all your veggies and spice mixture before you start cooking. This makes the recipe a breeze to prepare.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (you can choose your desired heat level. I use 1/2 t.)
- 10 chicken legs, skin on
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- 2 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil (start off with 2 T. , add more if needed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parsnip, shredded
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup purple cabbage, shredded (I found a bag of shredded purple cabbage near the bagged salads in the store)
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Get a large pot of water boiling for your noodles.
- Put the 2 T. vegetable oil into a large, oven-safe skillet (I prefer to use cast iron for this) and heat over medium-high heat, swirl skillet to coat it with the oil.
- While the skillet is heating, mix together the lemon pepper, dried rosemary and crushed red pepper. Set aside 3/4 t. of this spice mixture to use later. Sprinkle the chicken legs, both sides, with the rest of the spice mixture.
- Brown chicken until deep golden brown, about 5 minutes or so. Then flip chicken and brown the other side for an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown. Then place the skillet in the preheated oven to roast for 20- 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, put the noodles into the boiling water (I don't salt my water for this recipe) and cook according to the package directions.
- Now that your chicken is roasting and your noodles are boiling, you can prepare the veggies: Heat 2 T. vegetable oil in another large skillet on medium to medium-high heat. Add the shredded carrots and parsnips and remaining 3/4 t spice mixture and saute for a few minutes. Add the shredded zucchini, chopped onions and shredded purple cabbage and cook until tender, about 5 more minutes. Note: If your pan gets dry while you are adding the veggies, you may need to add a bit more oil.
- Drain noodles and stir them into the veggie mixture. Add the chicken broth and mix well. If your chicken is done, go ahead and add them into this noodle veggie mixture. (If you are still waiting for the chicken, keep the veggies and noodles on the lowest heat setting until the chicken is ready to add.).
- Once the chicken is added, you can bring the whole skillet meal to the table. Enjoy!