Recipe by bricookie55
This savory pie uses rice as its crust, making this a one-dish meal that's attractive and different. From Everyday with Rachael Ray, November 2007.
- 2⁄3 cup rice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed (and squeezed dry)
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, meat removed (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 9 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a small saucepan, combine the rice with 1 1/3 cups water. Cover and simmer over medium-high heat until the water is absorbed, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool.
- Brush the sides of a 9-inch pie pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil. In a medium bowl, combine the cooled rice, parmesan cheese, egg, and a pinch of pepper. Using lightly oiled fingers or a rubber spatula, press the rice mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Bake the rice mixture for 10 minutes; set aside to cool.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook until vegetables are golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and rosemary, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Stir in the chicken and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375°F Fill the "crust" with the chicken and vegetable filling, leaving a 1 inch border at the top of the crust. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Note: prep time does not include time it takes to cool between steps.