Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Chicken with balsamic vinegar is heaven on a plate. This is a very easy dish that easily impresses. Serve with plain white rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 lb baby red potato, sliced into thirds
- 3 small shallots or 3 small onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup broth
- 2 leeks, well washed and cut into 2 inch long strips
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch long strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook, turning, until golden brown on the outside and white throughout, about 10minutes.
- Remove to a plate.
- Add potatoes and shallots to skillet and cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes, until the shallots are soft.
- Stir in the broth, scraping and loosening the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the leeks, carrots and red pepper.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 8 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the garlic powder, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.
- Heat to boiling.
- Return the chicken to the pan, spoon the sauce over the chicken and cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes to heat through.
This recipe is excellent! After adding the leeks carrots and red pepper I found it needed to simmer for about 15 mins rather than 8 but maybe I cut the vegies too thickly. Only other thing I changed was to blend two teaspoons of cornflour with the Balsamic to make a thicker sauce. Its a keeper, thanks Mirjam!
Throw in some sauteed mushrooms and a package of toasted almonds for texture. Really very good.
The balsamic sauce has a nice flavor. This dish is good, but I would suggest seasoning the chicken before sauteeing (or maybe marinating the chicken in the balsamic vinegar). Just adding the plain chicken at the end didn't allow it to absorb any of the great flavors. Next time, I will marinate the chicken and be sure to buy thin chicken breasts or cut the chicken into small pieces so that it will cook faster (took much longer than 10 min).