Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from one of the best recipe books I have ever had, Favorite Recipes II from Sunset Magazine. Every recipe I have ever tried is great. I used some canned chicken broth and when I ran out, I used Better than Bouillon Chicken Base. It was delicious. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 3 medium carrots, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 3 stalks celery, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- In a 5 qt kettle over high heat, bring broth to boil.
- Add rice, cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, and zucchini, cover and simmer until veges are crisp-tender(about 10 more minutes).
- In a small pan, over medium heat, melt butter.
- Blend in flour with butter and cook, stirring until bubbly.
- Gradually stir in half-and-half.
- or milk. Stir in 1 C of broth from soup mixture. Continue cooking and stirring until sauce boils and thickens. Add to soup mixture.
- Add chicken and green onions. Season to taste.
- Cook until just heated through.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
This soup is great. I've never made a soup with a white sauce, rice and chicken. Usually I have that in restaurants. And this one is better than in restaurants. I used low-sodium chicken stock. I used 2 medium zucchini. Instead of 6 tbs of butter, I used only 3 tbs and used 3 tbs of water to combine with the flour. I thickened the sauce in the microwave. I used skim milk. I omitted the green onion. I used no-salt seasoning. Thanks Lynn :) Made for Please Review My Recipe
This was very good! It made a satisfying lunch for us today along with some crusty bread. Thanks for sharing!
This was a really great and filling soup! It turned out really creamy and I loved all the veggies. I had to add quite a bit of salt and pepper at the end and I may add some herbs in with the vegetables next time. All in all we enjoyed this soup!