Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe came from Southern Living magazine, October 2005. It is super easy to prepare and super good! This stew has become a cool weather staple at our house. It is also low calorie and low fat, making it an even easier choice for my family!
- 1 (32 ounce) container fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 bone-in skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 1/4 pounds, To save even more time I use skinless, boneless chicken)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) package frozen white corn
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup chopped country ham
- 1 tablespoon sugar (I use Splenda)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, onion and celery, and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from pan and let cool slightly.
- If using bone-in chicken, remove chicken from bones, discarding bones; shred chicken.
- Add corn, next 9 ingredients, and shredded chicken to Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until beans are tender.