Recipe by ellie_
These skewers are a delicious way to serve garden-fresh zucchini and summer squash. Adapted from Bon Appetit. Prep time includes marinating time (8 hours).
Top Review by Sassy Syrah
These were very easy. I had to make some substitutions based on what I had on hand. I put in some cumin, tarragon (for the aniseed). I left out the coriander completely Blec! I grilled in the George Foreman, but there was just something missing for me, I might try them again and see. Maybe the flavours were too much, I'm not sure.
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 red onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 summer squash, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 4 zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 12 wooden skewers
- salt and pepper, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 ingredients (garlic-aniseed) in small bowl.
- Place chicken in one dish for marinating and place vegetables in seperate dish for marinating.
- It is very important to keep them seperate!
- Sprinkle each dish (chicken and vegetable) with 1/2 of spice mixture, 1/2 of the olive oil and 1/2 of lime juice.
- Turn to coat well.
- Refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
- Soak skewers in water for at least 30 minutes and then remove from water.
- Alternate chicken and vegetables on skewers.
- May be prepared up to 2 hours ahead of time.
- Prepare barbecue grill or preheat broiler.
- Season skewers with salt and pepper if desired.
- Grill or broil until chicken is cooked through (5-8 minutes per side).