Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A quick to make chicken and vegetable pasty roll. Or you can make individual pasties. Great for at home or take-to-work lunches, and the perfect gourmet tucker for picnics and when you're attending outdoor sporting events! Adapted from a recipe from the Simply Great Meals Club website.
- 2 cups cooked barbecued chicken, shredded
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 (420 g) can mixed vegetables, drained or 1 (420 g) the equivalent quantity of leftover vegetables
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, cheese, egg, chives and herbs; season to taste; and gently stir through the Mixed Vegetables.
- Lay the pastry sheets with one sheet slightly overlapping the other, to form an oblong; brush the edges with milk.
- Spoon the chicken mixture along the length of the pastry edge closest to you; fold the pastry ends in and roll it up over the chicken mixture; continue rolling to form a log.
- Place the pastie log onto a greased baking tray, with the seal side down.
- Brush the pastry with milk and bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Making Individual Pasties: This filling is also suitable for making smaller individual pasties. Use 4 sheets of pastry cut each into 4. Place the chicken mixture onto one corner of the pastry square and fold it over to form a triangle. Seal the edges with milk and press with a fork. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and bake as per chicken roll.