Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great tasting casserole. Makes a mess, but it's worth it.
- 10 ounces broccoli florets (2 cups) or 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach (2 cups)
- 1 cup green beans
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) package puff pastry or 1 (10 ounce) package crescent roll dough, thawed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, boiled & cut into bite-size pieces (about 2 lbs)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- In medium saucepan, combine broccoli, beans, corn, and celery, and add enough water to cover the vegetables (if using spinach instead of broccoli: cook seperately according to package directions so you can squeeze out the excess water; then combine with other veggies).
- Cover pan, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until vegetables are tender-crisp (8 minutes).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry out to a 12"x8" rectangle.
- Bake for 11-15 minutes on ungreased baking sheet; then set aside.
- Thin the cheese soup by mixing it with the milk.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Sauté chicken, garlic, onion, and mushrooms until onion and mushrooms are tender, stirring constantly (5 minutes).
- Stir in flour and seasonings, mixing well.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock and cheese soup.
- Cook until mixture begins to boil.
- Cook 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Stir in vegetables; cook until heated through.
- Pour mixture into 12"x8" casserole dish.
- Layer sliced cheese on top.
- Top with hot puff pastry.
- Bake until top is golden-brown (5 minutes).
This is a wonderful comfort meal! So delicious. My family raved and I will definitely make it again. Thanx for a real keeper!