1/1 Photo of Chicken and Vegetable Bean Soup
4 hrs 15 mins
Fennel, tomatoes, and rosemary lend a Mediterranean note to this bean soup. Serve it with focaccia and a crisp green salad, with gelato for dessert. This hearty recipe can easily be made into a tasty meatless version by omitting the chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried great northern beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken (shredded or chopped)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1Rinse beans; drain.
- 2In a large saucepan, combine beans and the 6 cups water.
- 3Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 4Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 7Drain and rinse beans.
- 8Meanwhile, in a 3-1/2-, 4-, or 5-quart crockery cooker, combine onion, fennel, carrots, garlic, parsley, rosemary, and pepper.
- 9Place beans atop vegetables.
- 10Pour chicken broth over all.
- 11Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- 12If using low-heat setting stir in chicken and tomatoes.
- 13Cover and cook for 30 minutes longer or until heated through on high-heat setting.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Vegetable Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (666 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 414.4
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 65.6 mg
- Sodium 982.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.0 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 39.9 g