Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick stir-fry for a weeknight meal. Serve with boiled or steamed rice or rice noodles. Serves 4. You really can use any sauce of your choice. Written here with soy and honey. Also great with oyster and fish sauces, purchased bottled sauces. Gluten-free if you use gluten-free sauces To cook rice noodles- place them in a large bowl. Add oiling water and coverfor 5 minutes. Drain before serving or stir-frying. You can also vary the vegetable and use whatever is in season- onions, bellpeppers, mushrooms, sweet baby corn, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, snowpeas, bean shoots, bamboo stalks, bok choy, choy sum
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1 small chili pepper, seeds removed and cut finely (can use dried chili flakes at a pinch)
- 4 small chicken breast fillets, slice into thin strips
- 1 red capsicum, sliced into thin pieces (red sweet bell pepper)
- 6 spring onions, sliced on an angle
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup snow peas or 1 cup sugar snap pea
- 1⁄2 small Chinese cabbage, shredded (wombok)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup cashew nuts
- Heat a wok or large frypan. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and the chicken. Stir-fry quickly until evenly browned. Remove the chicken from the wok and set aside.
- Heat wok. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, the crushed garlic, ginger and chilli.Cook one minute.
- Add all of the vegetables (except the cabbage) to the wok. Stir-fry for a few minutes. Return the chicken to the wok. Add the soy sauce, honey and water/stock. Bring to the boil. Cover and Cook approx 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the cabbage and stir-fry another couple of minutes, until the cabbage is wilted down and cooked.
- Serve boiled rice or cooked rice noodles. Sprinkle over the cashews to serve.
This is a nice basic stir fry and goes together quickly despite the lengthy list of ingredients. I really enjoyed this meal, I did vary some of the veggies to suit my needs, loved the cashews - yum.
Made just half of this recipe & used just 1/4 of the smallest chili pepper I could find! Other than that, I used the ingredients as indicated (chose peanut oil over vegetable, used snow peas & chicken stock & a very rounded measure of nuts) & had A VERY TASTY STIR-FRY, something I'd be happy to make again! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
This is your typical, classic stir fry. I used some chicken in it and for veges, I used zucchini, carrots, and some frozen mixed veges. It was really yummy! Made for ZWT 4.