Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
a great one-dish dinner , the dumplings are wonderful. Instead of biscuit dough for the dumplings, I use tortilla strips.Just takes a little time adding the tortilla strips.
- In a very large kettle, or roaster, place chicken breasts, water, celery, and onion. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for about 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Reserve broth in roaster(you should have about 9 cups of broth>).
- Add chicken bouillon and taste to make sure it is tasty.
- Add more bouillon if needed and more water if you do not have 9 cups of broth.
- When chicken is cool enough, cut into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Add chicken soup to broth and bring to a boil.
- Cut tortillas into 2x1 inch strips. Add strips, one at a time, to briskly boiling broth mixture and stir constantly.
- When all strips have been added, spoon in chicken, reduce heat to low and simmer 5-10 minutes, stirring well but gently, to prevent dumplings from sticking.
- When done, kettle of chicken and dumplings will be very thick.
- Pour into very large serving bowl, and serve hot.
A great no-think supper that is hot and hearty! The changes I made was using only 3 chicken breasts and also adding half a pkg of frozen mixed veggies when adding the chicken to the soup/stew -- very thick and very good! We did need to add a lot of pepper to our bowls - but that is just individual taste preference. Comfort food at its best! Thanks for sharing!