Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was adapted from the book "Flatbreads and Flavors" by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Guguid. My family loves the mixture of potatoes and chicken.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 (15 ounce) can enchilada sauce (I prefer Hatch brand)
- 12 corn tortillas
- Place chicken, onion, thyme, bay leaves, garlic, and salt into a large pot. Add water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken, reserve stock, let chicken cool.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle chop into 1/4" cubes, set aside.
- In a large pot bring reserved stock, parsley and potatoes to a boil. Boil until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside. (Stock can be saved for future uses.).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously oil a large baking dish approximately 10" x 14".
- Pour the enchilada sauce into a separate shallow dish.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Heat both side of a tortilla until soft. (Approximately 20 seconds per side.).
- Slide tortilla through sauce so both sides are completely covered with sauce. Lay tortilla on working surface.
- Place 2 Tablespoons of chicken onto the center of the tortilla.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of potatoes on top of chicken.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of of cheese on top of the potatoes.
- Roll tortilla like a jelly roll, and place seam side down at one end of the baking dish. Lightly push filling toward ends as rolling.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and place touching side by side in baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over rolled tortillas, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese bubbles.
- Serve hot.