Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Children and adults love this simple-to-make Spring dinner salad. I made several changes to the original recipe which was printed in Bon Appetit (May, 1983).
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and cut up in bite-size pieces
- 2 cups green seedless grapes
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 12 -15 spinach leaves, stems trimmed and torn into pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut diagonally into small pieces
- 1 lb frozen cheese-filled egg tortellini, cooked and drained according to package directions
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 -2 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup Miracle Whip
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- spinach leaves (optional) or oranges (optional) or tangerines, sections (optional) or sliced strawberry, for garnish (optional)
- Combine first 11 ingredients (chicken through green onion) in large salad bowl; toss.
- Mix mayonnaise, Parmesan and orange juice in small bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add optional garnish of orange sections and/or strawberry slices.
- If desired, serve on trimmed spinach leaves.
I made this without the chicken, and used a little more coarsely grated Parm for a heftier salad. Very simple, tasty dressing. Of course one could use any combo of seasonal vegetables and fruit. I left out the spinach and celery this time around, and went easy on the dressing. I'll make it again in one form or another.
This is one hefty little salad. I made two minor substitutions: sugar snap peas instead of snow peas and strawberries instead of kiwi (the kiwi didn't look very good at the grocery store). I also served the salad on a bed of spinach leaves instead of adding the spinach to the salad. This one is excellent, Ellie. I thought the dressing added just the right enhancement to the overall flavor and was not overpowering. It will be my turn to host a "Lunch Bunch" luncheon at my house in August and this is what I will be serving. Thanks so much.