1/1 Photo of Chicken and Swiss Chard Fusilli
Teaming up foods that are in season is a great way to reduce costs, as in this dish with its Swiss chard and peppers. From the pages of Canadian Living.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb swiss chard (454 g)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (25 mL)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sweet red peppers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (25 mL)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (5 mL)
- 4 cups fusilli (12 oz/375 g)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch (18 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (375 mL, 50 mL)
- 1Cut chard into ribs and leaves; chop each and set aside separately.
- 2Slice chicken across the grain into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices; cut crosswise in half. In large skillet, heat half of the oil over high heat; cook chicken, stirring often, for 4 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- 3Reduce heat to medium-high; cook onion, garlic, red peppers and chard ribs for 5 minutes or until softened. Return chicken to pan. Add vinegar, rosemary and chard leaves; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until chard is wilted.
- 4Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender but firm; drain well and return to pot. Add chard mixture and toss to combine.
- 5Whisk cornstarch into stock; add to skillet and cook over high heat, whisking, until thickened. Stir into pasta. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
- 7Instead of chard, you can use 1 bunch broccoli; add stems as directed and florets instead of leaves.
- 8To substitute crumbled dried rosemary for the fresh, use 1/4 tsp (1 mL) and add with onion.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Swiss Chard Fusilli
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.3
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 40.4 mg
- Sodium 445.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 18.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: