Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
We were given a ton of sweet potatoes from some generous friends who were growing them, and so I was trying to find good sweet potato recipes. Anyways, I made this, and I significantly deviated from the original recipe, and I wanted to document what I did so I could make it again. This seems sort of like a winter recipe except the fresh basil - which can't be left out, this makes dish - makes it ok for summer (at least to me).
- 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, and preferably organic, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 yukon gold potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, medium sized, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons paprika (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups chicken stock, homemade or high end organic (we like Swanson's and Pacifica)
- 1⁄4 cup basil, fresh and chopped
- Combine chicken, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and juice, salt, paprika, celery seeds, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, and broth in a large dutch oven; cook at 275 for about an hour and a half.
- Remove dutch oven from stove and finish cooking on stove top, cooking over medium until potatoes done and mixture has a stew like consistency; garnish with fresh basil and serve!