A wonderful sounding low-fat stew from Pillsbury's Best Chicken Recipes cookbook. Must try for the fall season!
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-in pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, quartered, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice or 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (1/2-in)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes, drained, cut up
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- In large plastic bag, combine flour and garlic salt. Add the chicken and shake until coated.
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes, or until just browned. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add onion to skillet; cook and stir 2 minutes until tender; adding some apple juice if necessary to prevent sticking. Stir in remaining apple juice, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, basil and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 30 to 35 minutes, or until chicken in no longer pink and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.