1/1 Photo of Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
Found this on the internet while looking for recipes from Holland. Using cider as the liquid in this stew makes it quite different from many of the chicken and sweet potato stews found here on Recipezaar. While not an authentic addition, I like to add a bit of ginger to this as a peppery contrast to the sweetness of the cider and sweet potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 340.19 g boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 breasts)
- 14.79 ml oil
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 354.88 ml apple juice or 354.88 ml apple cider
- 473.18 ml cubed peeled sweet potatoes, 1/2-inch pieces
- 473.18 ml green beans, fresh or frozen
- 822.13 g canned low-sodium tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh basil
- 1Begin heating oil in large saucepan or soup pot.
- 2Dredge chicken in flour and add to hot oil. Cook 3 minutes or just until browned. Remove chicken from the pan.
- 3Without cleaning the pan, add onions and garlic and cook two minutes until tender. If the pan becomes dry, add some apple juice or cider to the pan.
- 4If you are using fresh green beans, clean and trim to 1 or 2 inch pieces. Remember to drain the tomatoes.
- 5Stir in the remaining apple juice, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, basil and chicken. Bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heatand simmer 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
Serving Size: 1 (538 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.3
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 49.3 mg
- Sodium 119.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 20.8 g
- Protein 24.5 g