Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A sweet Vietnamese curry in the style of those common in Ho Chi Minh City. Adapted from Vietnamese Food and Cooking by Basan (2009).
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons curry powder (Indian)
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and diced
- 2 lemongrass, stalks chopped
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar (or use white sugar)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (or vegetable oil)
- 3 tablespoons chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 1 bunch basil, stems removed
- salt and pepper
- Prep chicken, sweet potatoes, shallots, ginger, and lemon grass.
- Mix curry powder and turmeric with the chicken cubes.
- Put shallots, ginger, and lemon grass stalks in a blender and blend to a paste.
- Heat sugar with 1.5 tbsp water until sugar dissolves and turns golden. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Brown the chicken, stirring, 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the chilli flakes, fish sauce, coconut milk, half the cilantro, and half the basil. Add the cubed sweet potato and the caramelized sugar.
- Add about 1 cup of water, enough to just cover chicken and sweet potatoes.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes. Season to taste and garnish with the remaining cilantro and basil.
- Serve with steamed long-grain rice.