Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lovely with a green salad
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 40 g butter, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
- plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup packaged dry breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- Boil both potatoes together until tender, drain into large bowl and mash.
- Stir in onions, seasoning, cheese, butter and chicken; mix well.
- Shape mixture into 18 croquettes.
- Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Toss croquettes in flour, shake away excess.
- Dip croquettes in eggs, then crumbs.
- Shallow-fry croquettes in batches, in hot oil until browned; drain on absorbent paper.
So easy and delicious! Quick and easy! I cut the recipe in half, since it was for my 2 little ones and me, and I still got 18 croquettes...I guess I make them smaller! ;-) I loved the kick of the cajun seasoning--I think next time I'll make them with sharp cheddar. Fabulous recipe Evie*! Thanks for posting it!
I had a very difficult time shaping croquettes so I put the mixture into a 2-crust pie and baked at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Not mashing the potatoes or finely chopping the chicken will improve the texture next time. I don't have patience to shape sticky croquettes. Any helpful suggestions on that would be appreciated because we love the flavor.
I also made them much smaller and ended up with a lot more. While you have to handle them VERY gently before and during getting a crisp cook to them, they were well received. Most were surprised at the sweet potato ingredient, but all loved it.