2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Wow. This is flavorful and delicious. I didn't have quinoa so I used brown rice instead. This is a definite make-again recipe. Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home January 2012 and Brynn Rader/Michele Nevill.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic (cloves separated, peeled and minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 lbs chicken (broiler or fryer chicken, cut up)
- 29 ounces chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (divided)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 30 ounces black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 31 ounces kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- 2Add chicken, 2 cans of broth, and seasonings.
- 3Bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- 5Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring remaining broth to a boil.
- 6Add quinoa. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 7Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- 8Remove chicken and cool slightly.
- 9Strain broth, reserving vegetables. Skim fat from broth.
- 10Return vegetables and broth to the Dutch oven and add the sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes, and cooked quinoa.
- 11Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- 12Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones and cut into bite-size pieces.
- 13Discard bones.
- 14Stir chicken into chili and heat through.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Sweet Potato Chili
Serving Size: 1 (517 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.9
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 102.0 mg
- Sodium 951.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 40.4 g