Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Wow. This is flavorful and delicious. I didn't have quinoa so I used brown rice instead. This is a definite make-again recipe. Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home January 2012 and Brynn Rader/Michele Nevill.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic (cloves separated, peeled and minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 lbs chicken (broiler or fryer chicken, cut up)
- 29 ounces chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (divided)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 30 ounces black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 31 ounces kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes (undrained)
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add chicken, 2 cans of broth, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring remaining broth to a boil.
- Add quinoa. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Remove chicken and cool slightly.
- Strain broth, reserving vegetables. Skim fat from broth.
- Return vegetables and broth to the Dutch oven and add the sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes, and cooked quinoa.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Discard bones.
- Stir chicken into chili and heat through.